20 April 2009

Kit Evolution = Head Gear

James Hunt's Bell Star II SW

Freddie Hunt: "This is the helmet that my father used during his 1976 World Championship-winning season, complete with all the original battle scars. The helmet means a huge amount to me, but it was a piece of functional machinery to him and I know he did his best to keep it in good order. But he still proudly decorated it in the colours of Wellington School - a Hunt family tradition." Shell: woven fibreglass. Visor: 1.5mm clear polycarbonate. Weight: 1850g. Interior: straight white expanded polystyrene lining. Cooling/airflow: none. Aerodynamics: not considered. Strength: built to withstand impacts at a force of 140Joules at peak acceleration of 300G. Sebastian Vettel's Arai GP-5 RC Carbon Sebastian Vettel: "Since I've been with Arai they've done a really great job. I work with them and Red Bull to ensure the helmet provides the optimum protection and comfort. For me, with the long, hot races, ventilation and cooling are an essential element. I drive with the Red Bull design but there's always space for me to add my own ideas. In Brazil last season I had pictures of the Toro Rosso team decorated on the outside." Shell: carbon super-fibre. Self-extinguishing 10 seconds after contact with fire Visor: 3mm optically correct tinted polycarbonate visor with tear-off strip to improve mid-race visibility. Can withstand debris impact of objects moving at 500kph. Weight: 1200g. Interior: fibre belt increases rigidity by limiting the spread of cracks from repeated impact. Cooling/airflow: two air intakes at the front of helmet regulate temperature. Aerodynamics: spoilers and gurney flaps work aerodynamically with the car. Strength: combined with reduced weight, is twice that of James Hunt-era helmet.

Source: redbulletin.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interviewer: The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?_________ Kimi: It protects my head.